IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF THE
HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION
CIVIL ACTION NO 2422 OF 2013
(TRANSFERRED FROM SMALL CLAIMS TRIBUNAL
CLAIM NO 34870 of 2012)
DECISION ON COSTS
1. On 14 March 2014, I allowed the plaintiff’s appeal against the decision of the learned Master and made an order nisi that thedefendants should pay the plaintiff costs of the appeal.
2. For the purpose of summary assessment of costs, I directed the plaintiff to file a statement of costs within 21 days and the defendantsto file a list of objection within 7 days thereafter.
3. No application for the variation of the costs order is made. The parties having complied with the directions, I now assess thecosts of the said appeal summarily.
4. Mr Chan Kin Fung, Phil (“Mr Chan”) was admitted in 1991 both in the UK and Hong Kong. His hourly rate is allowed at $2,600.
5. There are altogether 36 pages of documents. The plaintiff is claiming at $1 per page. The amount allowed under this item is $108.
6. I allow 10 minutes for the preparation of the Notice of Appeal.
7. Mr Chan is a director of the plaintiff. He is also the sole proprietor of Messrs Phillips, which is the legal representative ofthe plaintiff. As such, I do not think there is any “communication with client” as claimed. Item C2 is taxed off.
8. For the preparation of plaintiff’s skeleton submissions, 1 hour is allowed.
9. The time allowed for considering the defendant’s skeleton submission is 45 minutes.
10. Legal research is allowed at 30 minutes.
11. The hearing lasted for 22 minutes, and it is so allowed.
Judgment on appeal
12. I allow 15 minutes for the perusal of the Decision on appeal.
13. I allow 8 minutes for the preparation of the order.
Conclusion and order
14. Accordingly, the plaintiff’s costs are allowed at $8,341.00.
15. By summary assessment, I order the defendants do pay the plaintiff costs of the appeal in the sum of $8,341.00, to be paid forthwith.
Mr Phil Chan of Phillips, for the plaintiff
Mr Brian Gilchrist of Clifford Chance, for the defendants