IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF THE
HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION
CRIMINAL CASE NO. 347 OF 2015
Reasons for Sentence
Charge and facts
1. The Defendant pleads guilty to trafficking in a dangerous drug.
2. At around 0030 h on 3 March 2015, the police were conducting anti-narcotics operations in Fu Tai Estate, Tuen Mun when they interceptedthe Defendant outside a taxi stand. They found the following items on him:
3. After being arrested for trafficking in a dangerous drug and cautioned, he said he wanted to earn his living by selling the drug. In the subsequent video-recorded interview, he repeated that he intended to sell the drug. He had bought the drug at around $2,400the day before in Tsim Sha Tsui.
4. The police estimated the street value of the drug to be around $2,688.
5. The Defendant will soon turn 19. He has a clear record. He was educated up to F. 5 level. An underachiever at school, he didnot have major behavioral problems over the years. He was a casual kitchen worker before arrest. He mixed with adverse peers incyber cafes and began to consume ketamine on a regular basis. As his girlfriend became pregnant last October, delivery expected innext month, he was under increasing financial pressure to provide for his new family. After the arrest, he has realized the needto learn a vocation. He has a mind to achieve this purpose in the Training Centre. I call for a Training Centre report, which nowstates that he is suitable for its programme.
6. The Court of Appeal has laid down sentencing guidelines in HKSAR v Hii Siew Cheng  1 HKLRD 1. For a trafficker of 10 – 50 grammes of ketamine, the sentence shall be 4 – 6 years.
7. Apart from a jail term, institutional trainings are options also open to an offender under the age of 21 years.
Sentencing this Defendant
8. If a jail term had to be considered, I would take 4 years as the starting point. One-third off for the guilty plea, the sentencewould be 32 months. However, I am against a jail term. It is anticipated that the Training Centre will forge in him a more positivepersonality and rehabilitate him to society. That must be in the best interest both of him and the society. I make the order accordingly.