IN THE HIGH COURT OF THE
HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION
COURT OF APPEAL
CIVIL APPEAL NO. 16 OF 2008
(ON APPEAL FROM HCA 571 OF 2007)
Before: Hon Cheung JA, Lam and A. Cheung JJ in Court
Date of Hearing: 7 November 2008
Date of Decision: 7 November 2008
D E C I S I O N
Hon Cheung JA (giving decision of the Court) :
1. The plaintiff applies for leave to appeal to the Court of Final Appeal against our judgment of 12 August 2008.
2. The only basis of the application is on the ‘or otherwise’ ground.
3. The first ground relied upon by the plaintiff is a repeat of the arguments raised before us, namely, whether the loan agreementwas a stand alone agreement or part of a master agreement.
4. The present case is concerned with whether summary judgment should be granted. We do not see the situation to be so exceptionalthat justice requires the case to be considered by the Court of Final Appeal.
5. Likewise for the other grounds raised in support of the application, namely, the fact that the amount involved is over the $1 millionthreshold, our decision introduced uncertainty to commercial transactions and the burden and expenses of a full trial, whether theyare taken separately or in total, do not advance the plaintiff’s case any further.
6. The application is accordingly refused with costs to the defendants.
Mr. Jat Sew Tong, SC and Mr. Victor Dawes, instructed by Messrs Pinsent Masons, for the Plaintiff
Mr. David Tsang, instructed by Messrs Siao, Wen and Leung, for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Defendants