IN THE HIGH COURT OF THE
HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION
COURT OF FIRST INSTANCE
MAGISTRACY APPEAL NO. 694 OF 2012
(ON APPEAL FROM KCCC 3543/2012)
Before: Hon Fung J in Court
Date of Hearing: 8 November 2012
Date of Judgment: 8 November 2012
J U D G M E N T
1. The Appellant pleaded guilty to one count of theft before Magistrate Peter Law Esq, and was sentenced to 4 months’ imprisonment.
2. The Appellant used a tinfoil lined paper bag to commit shop theft. There was an accomplice in the shop together with the Appellant.
The Magistrate’s reasons
3. The Magistrate stated that it was a premeditated act of theft with an accomplice and not simply a case of acting impulsively outof greediness. He took 6 months as the starting point and gave one-third discount for plea, which became 4 months.
Grounds of appeal
4. The Appellant submitted that he is 18 years old, a last year computer science student at university in Mongolia. The study termhas already started in September, so even one day is important for him.
5. I see nothing excessive about the sentence. The appeal is dismissed.
Ms Noelle Chit, Public Prosecutor of Department of Justice, for the Respondent
The Appellant, in person