IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF THE
HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION
CRIMINAL CASE NO. 1172 OF 2008
Coram: Deputy District Judge Dufton in Court
Date of Sentence: 14 January 2009
Charge: Burglary (入屋犯法罪)
REASONS FOR SENTENCE
1. The defendant pleads guilty to one charge of burglary, contrary to section 11(1)(b) and (4) of the Theft Ordinance, Chapter 210.
2. In summary the defendant burgled the Krega Ayer Restaurant in Cheung Sha Wan in the early hours of the 3rd December 2007. A safecontaining $5,000 cash was stolen. The defendant was arrested in October 2008 when he admitted committing the burglary.
3. The correct starting point for a single burglary of non-domestic premises committed by a first offender of full age where thereare no aggravating or mitigating features is two years and six months imprisonment (see Attorney General v LUI Kam-chi  1 HKC 215 as applied in Attorney General v LO Ching-fai  2 HKCLR 20).
4. In passing sentence I have carefully considered everything said on the defendant’s behalf by Mr Tsu, including that the defendantwas cooperative when arrested by the police.
5. Although the defendant has one previous conviction for burglary and other related dishonesty offences I note his last offence ofdishonesty was in 1995. I do not therefore propose to increase the starting point. Giving the defendant full credit for his pleaof guilty he is sentenced to one year and eight months imprisonment.