IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF THE
HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION
CRIMINAL CASE NO. 286 OF 2014
Reasons for Sentence
Charge and facts
1. The defendant pleads guilty to trafficking in ketamine. In the afternoon on 19 December 2013, the police spotted him acting furtivelyin a park in Ap Lei Chau. The police found 5 re-sealable plastic bags which contained ketamine (later confirmed by a governmentchemist to be 13.16 grammes of a powder containing 10.14 grammes of ketamine). After arrest and caution, he told the police thathe was to deliver the ketamine for a reward of $500.
2. The estimated value of the ketamine was about $1,600.
Personal background and mitigation
3. He is 19 years of age, F.1 education level. He had 1 record for theft, being fined $500, in 2011. He had done unstable jobs fromtime to time. He was unemployed at the time of arrest. He lives with his parents and an elder sister. As requested by his solicitorin mitigation, I call for a Training Centre Report to assess his suitability. The report comes back with a recommendation for hisdetention there.
4. The Court of Appeal in HKSAR v Hii Siew Cheng  1 HKLRD 1 has stated that traffickers shall be sentenced to 2 – 4 years for up to 10 g of ketamine.
Sentencing this defendant
5. I am of the view that the best interest of the society and himself can be served by a Training Centre order.